Thursday, April 23, 2009

A master’s degree does not supersede a bachelor’s degree

Logically speaking, once you have a master’s degree in a certain field you would be qualified to teach even if your first degree is not in the same field. Or at least that’s what I thought. WRONG! MQA doesn’t work that way. I found this out when I went for an interview for a promotion late last year. As usual, the most popular question the panel would ask was “would you be willing to transfer to another course center?” Being a mother of 5 growing children between the ages of 5 and 15, my answer was a definite no. I do not wish to see my children being split just for the sake of me getting a higher grade and a few extra hundreds. Since I just finished a master’s degree in TESL I offered myself to teach English at my current workplace instead of being transferred to another center as an administrator. The panel said they would look into the matter. When they consulted the MQA, they were told that a person has to have the first degree in the same field in order to be qualified to teach. I guess it’s not my luck!

No comments: