Saturday, April 4, 2009

No Pain No Gain


I have been going to the gymnasium in Sg Isap since the beginning of the year. There are a few regulars whom I always meet whenever I go. They are definitely serious about building up muscles on their bodies and I also noticed that they like to look at themselves in the mirror. I guess they are quite please with their accomplishment. I guess that’s natural.

Majority of them lift weights with proper care and technique. They also wear appropriate attire except for a few guys who like to exercise barefooted. That is really dangerous because there are so many weights around and freak accidents do happen. I did mention the safety issue with them but their answer was “it’s more comfortable without shoes”. Well, I have done my social duty and the rest is up to them. I just hope that I won’t be there when the weights rip their toes!

Another thing that I feel a bit frustrated with them is their belief in the old philosophy of No Pain No Gain. From what I have read about weight lifting (at least the safer way), the current philosophy is Slow and Controlled. That’s why we have to keep up with the current researches and publications. Ignorance is not an excuse especially when it involves our health and safety.

No comments: